Saturday, March 12, 2011

This food stuff is for the birds!

Baby food...we decided to give it a try. My pediatrician told me at her 4 month appointment that we could start whenever we wanted at that point. He said it was fine to start then or to wait as late as 6 months. Well, Callie will be 6 months on March 17th. I was going to wait until she turned 6 months.

And then she hit a growth spurt. And started wanting to eat ever 3 hours overnight. She eats every 3 hours during the day, but she's been sleeping through the night since before she was 3 months old so this eating every 3 hours at night was not a welcome surprise! On our trip to Oklahoma she woke up Saturday night and wouldn't go back to sleep without eating. Then she started doing that for the next 2 weeks. Baby girl was hungry! So I decided it was time to start food.

In all my first time mom naivety, I thought we would sit down with a bowl of food and she would eat it with as much excitement as I was feeling and then she would begin to sleep through the night again, with her belly filled with the deliciousness of avocado and a nighttime bottle of breastmilk.

*sigh* That's not how it went at all. She was not a fan. Wasn't that first day we tried it and still isn't a week later.

As I said, I decided to start with avocado. Had been doing some research and found that you don't have to start with rice cereal after all. Avocado is great brain food. :) So I pureed some an avocado and added some rice cereal and breastmilk, set her up with a bib in her bumbo seat and we were ready to go! But not so much. She wouldn't even look at me. Then I gave her a bit of food and she blew raspberries at me and spit it all back out. I moved her out of the bumbo seat to her bouncy seat and she still would have none of it. I was all ready to go with camera for video, cell phone camera for pics and spoon filled with food. It was not the experience I had planned!

face covered in avocado, bib off because it was just getting in the way!

I've got my mouth open, but I really don't want ANY of that stuff!!
  
Now, fast forward a week later and she still doesn't want anything to do with any of it. Nevertheless, we try to feed it her to every night. I have tried rice cereal with breastmilk, pureed bananas with breastmilk, avocado with rice cereal and breastmilk and peas. She ate the most of the peas...about 6 spoonfulls...before deciding she didn't want anymore of it. That was last night. And today she wouldn't have any of the peas at all.

I know she will get it eventually. I've decided not to stress over it. I'm sure she'll be eating more than just breastmilk by the time she goes to kindergarten! HAHA!

Until then, the frozen avocado and banana wait patiently in the freezer for another day.

1 comment:

twiceknit said...

Is it going any better by now? Don't worry, she'll get the hang of it. That whole spoon and swallowing thing just takes a while to get used to!