Friday, December 19, 2008

The reason...

Today at my staff Christmas party at school, one of my co-workers opened the party up talking about how a student asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she knew the student didn't have a lot of money, so she responded by telling the child she wanted "isn't" from him instead of "ain't" and the other students went on to figure out what kinds of things they could give her like that. My co-worker then told us that Jesus feels that way about us this time of year (and always). He wants us not to buy Him expensive gifts but to give of ourselves to Him. She went on to ask us what we needed to give Him this season. Our anxieties, our fears, our sickness, our pride, our worry, our selfishness, etc......that is what Jesus wants to take from us.

She went on to read the Christmas story in the Bible. I had tears in my eyes by the time she finished.

It made me really stop and remember the reason for the season. Take some time to remember and enjoy this holiday. This time of year is about one little baby that would change the world, a gift to all of us that would receive it, a gift that changes everything.

Merry Christmas!

(The best part of that to me is that all of that happened today at my public school staff Christmas party. LOVE that!)

4 comments:

B.E.A.L. said...

That is sooo AWESOME! It sounds like you are in a great place with even greater people! Things happen for a reason.....

patti said...

That is so great! makes me miss teaching in a small town. what a blessing and thanks for helping me reflect on the important things this christmas!

Megan said...

Just reading this...that's AWESOME!

Laura Kent said...

I'm just catching up on all your blogs and I have to tell you your AMAZING! I love that you give such great perspectives... Thanks! You've made my day!