Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas time!

I love this time of year! I love the sights, the smells, the tastes of the holidays! I am so happy that it is cold outside and that there are twinkle lights lighting up houses and storefronts everywhere!

Don't you just love it?

Another exciting thing for me is that my school actually celebrates Christmas! My old school was so afraid of offending anyone else that they didn't allow us to even really use the word Christmas. It was winter break, winter party, winter this, winter that. Not here though! We have Christmas trees ready to greet you right as you walk in the school, the library, and almost every classroom. It's fun. The kids love it.

Speaking of the kids. Another thing we do at my new school is write letters to Santa and they get published in the newspaper. I remember doing this as a kid...anxiously awaiting my letter to get published...anxiously awaiting Santa's reply. Oh, I loved it! And so do my kids. They were so excited to write their letters. The best part is that each kids still believes. I was waiting for someone to say, "But Santa's not real." But no one did. I just sat back and listened to one of my classes as they talked about how Santa is magic. How he must be magic to get their bike into the locked garage. Or how he must be magic because he gets down the chimney. Or how he must be magic because they don't have a chimney and he still makes it in.

Oh, the wide-eyed wonder of kids at Christmas. It is just so fun!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

So much fun!! I agree. Taylan has a friend who is trying to tell her there is no such thing. She also said there was no tooth fairy. One day she came home from school and said, her friend had lost a tooth and came to school and had got no money under her pillow. She said, "I told her, see, if you don't believe you won't get anything." I hope she believes forever :)

April Massad said...

AH!!!! That brought a tear to my eye!! Don't you wish you could go back in time for a little while so you could FEEL what it was like to believe?
I LOVE that they celebrate Christmas! That is awesome!

B.E.A.L. said...

That is AWESOME!!! Gotta love small town life! So great the kids love christmas!

patti said...

hey...i'm catching up on my blog reading tonight. so... i'm so happy for you to have a fun school that celebrates holidays the real way!

and I love the story of c's first game. I can't wait to hear about the season.

now...when is your next 5k? will you guys be around there for christmas? we are going to be in t-town.

hugs