Sunday, January 11, 2009

Totally Awesome 80's Party

Courtney turned 30 on Saturday! I decided a few months ago to throw him a surprise 80's themed party. Through this process I have learned two very valuable things about myself. 1) It is tough for me to keep secrets from Courtney, and 2) I am a terrible party-planner.

There is no way I could have gotten this party together successfully without the help of many friends here. I was such a spaz about everything and had trouble getting anything ready or planned. Thanks Phyllis for helping me make many to-do lists and grocery lists. Oh, and for the tiny little part of making ALL the food! And then there is KB, who made the cakes for the party. I am glad that you enjoy making cakes and they turned out so FANTASTIC! Thanks Kristy for letting KB work for so long in your kitchen and for helping with the cakes. Will and Philip made sure Courtney didn't come home too soon...stall, stall, stall! So many friends came out to make this night so special for Courtney. It was a great time! Chrystel and Chris and Tommy and Anthony made the long drive from Dallas to hang out with Courtney. So special.

Courtney knew nothing about it. I cannot believe I was able to keep it a secret. He really had no idea though!

Decorations: We splatter painted black sheets with neon paint for tablecloths. I cut neon posterboard out into geometric shapes and put 80's phrases on them (Totally, Where's the Beef?, Gag me with a spoon) and hung them, I hung posters of 80's icons (Michael Jackson, Ronald Reagan, Wham!, Alf, ET, etc).

Entertainment: We played 80's songs all night long and I played 80's movies on mute on tv. KB let me borrow their Atari (pong is awesome!) and we played 80's Trivial Pursuit.

Outfits: People came decked out in 80's prom dresses, jeans tight-rolled, stone-washed denim, leg warmers, scrunchies in hair, big neon earrings and bracelets, stirrup pants, jellies...it was 80's horrible fashion in all it's glory.

on the mirror in the guest bathroom

Cake #1
Didn't we all love Pac-Man?


the food table
We should so bring splatter-painted items back!

Cake #2
The Rubiks Cube
(do you love the cassette tapes on the table?)


Cheap decorations -posterboard and streamers



The big moment - SURPRISE!!!

the outfits
I had his ready for him to put on
the girls
Atari and one OLD tv
the boys had Atari wars
The Warrens thought Courtney needed some camo...I mean, we do live in East Texas. So, they bought him his first camo piece of clothing. Looks good with the acid washed jeans, huh?


Happy 30th Courtney!

You're one year farther away from the 80's!!

11 comments:

B.E.A.L. said...

That is awesome! You did a great job and it looks like it was TONS of fun! Nice work my friend and I am so impressed that you pulled it off without him knowing...you rock!

what a fun idea for a 30th bday!

The Hoppers Family said...

How fun! Major props on the decorating--you really got some good 80's details in there. :)
Happy Birthday Courtney!

Just Brandi said...

These pics are too funny! Looks like ya'll had a blast!!!
I'm LOVING Courtney's mullet!!

Keysha said...

You rocked it out girl!!! Like totally!
did anyone rock some big bangs? I think 80s and that's all I can remember haha...can't wait to catch up and hear more about it!

twiceknit said...

You outdid yourself! It all looks great. I'm particularly impressed by the cakes. I must say, though, I'm frightened that you were able to buy your whole outfit in a normal store selling it as normal clothing. It should so not be back in style!!!

April Massad said...

Like totally awesome, girl! That is one party I wish I would have been at!! I LOVE it!

Kristin said...

You're the BEST wife ever. That's so much fun!!

patti said...

oh what a fun party...i might need to steal some ideas!

I love the outfits...you guys are one cut 80s couple.

happy late birthday cortney!

Laura Kent said...

I'm sad we missed it... It looks awesome! I liked the 80's...

Chrystel said...

Thanks Erin! It was sooo much fun! we can't wait to come back and see you guys! :)

Deziray Click said...

I LOVE IT! The Rubiks cube was a NICE touch. I can't believe you found a WORKING Atari!
You guys are NEATO couple!