Sunday, November 16, 2008

My first 5K!

I did it! I ran my first 5K! I drove to Edmond to meet up with Keysha and we got up early Saturday morning to go out and brave the cold at Stars and Stripes Park at Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. As you can see by my first picture, it was C-O-L-D and so we had to bundle up! I was not prepared at all for such cold, windy weather and did not come with warm enough clothing. I had to borrow gloves and a scarf. The wind chill was about 22 degrees when the race started. We were running right next to the lake too, so we got the chilly gust right off the lake for most of the race. The wind was so strong and freezing. At one point, I thought that it was possible that my throat might bleed from breathing in the cold air!! It was that cold.

We had a great time though. My goal was to run the entire race without stopping and I did that. I finished in 33 minutes and 17 seconds. My goal for my next one (because I have been bitten by the 5K bug and cannot wait to do another one) is to hit the 30 minute mark. Maybe with less windy conditions and a little more training, I can do that!

all bundled up
me with my number on, ready to go

us, after the race

We felt so proud of ourselves!
Keysha thought she might get hot, so she wore capris. We got out of the car and she instantly regretted that. She said that her ankles were the least of her worries once she got going. Gosh, it was so cold!!
Keysha, I am proud of us! Can't wait to run another one with you soon!

7 comments:

Trisha said...

Awesome!!! I'm so proud of you!

The Johnson's said...

Yah!!! So proud of you! I do a 5k every year and I love it! It can get addicting! Great Job!

B.E.A.L. said...

You rock Erin! I am so proud of you and I am so glad you had fun! I am even more proud that you hung in there cold and all! You go girl! That is very inspiring!

Keysha said...

whooo hoooo! we did it! i am soooo thankful you came, and we got to experience it together. what a great weekend. love you girl!

The Tapley's said...

CONGRATS Erin!! That's awesome...I need to start training for one!! Way to go!! Remember when we used to run at night with someone always following behind us with head lights leading the way...we were dedicated girls!!

patti said...

woo hoo...it is addictive! Since there are not to many there come back and do one with me in big D. We are trying to play catch up and meet our goal of 12 this year. we were suppose to do one a month then summer hit so we missed some.

way to go and that's a good time to me!

twiceknit said...

congrats!!