Saturday, February 14, 2009

And 30 just got even better....

Have you ever been so surprised by something that it brought tears to your eyes instantly? I have. A few times actually since this year started...

One of those times was my birthday weekend when I opened my front door to find some of my dearest friends awaiting my arrival, arms wide open, yelling "Surprise!" at me as I walked through the front door.

SURPRISE!

I was so shocked to see Trisha's face (since I haven't seen her in a while and knowing that meant there were more of my friends inside) that I backed right back out of the door!!


See? Instant tears.
Still shocked that everyone was here!
Let me back up though to where it all started...where the tangled lies began...

My mom was coming to town last weekend to celebrate my birthday with me. Keysha told me she was going to try to make it for the weekend, then told me she couldn't because Michael had a work conference and couldn't keep the kids. So, KB, Phyllis, Mom, and I were going to get pedicures on Saturday. That was the plan. Well, KB said she had to work and so she was out. Saturday morning comes and Phyllis bails on me too saying that one of the kids was sick. So, Mom and I decide to go see a movie and get pedicures and eat lunch. A nice leisurely day. Courtney (supposedly) had gone with my dad to Arkansas and was golfing and hanging out with him for the weekend.

I had talked to KB quite a few times during the day to try to arrange for her to meet mom and I after she got off work. She had quite a few convincing phone calls with me about driving to another bank to get more money, going home early to cook Lute dinner because he got back in town early, and the lies went on and on. Although she was quite convincing so I never thought another thing about it.

Then there was Phyllis who actually said she was calling me from the doctor's office and at one point said, "Oh hey, I gotta go, the doctor just came back in..." so we got off the phone.

Keysha sent me text after text telling me about how she was on her way to get food and rent a chick flick since Michael was out of town...then I called her house and Michael answered!!

I later find out all these phone calls were made from my living room!!

So, Mom and I walked in from being out all day and there was a huge group of friends waiting for me for my surprise party!! My husband, with the help of Keysha, with the help of KB and Phyllis set up a Fiesta party just for me! I was greeted by Keysha and some of best friends from high school-Trisha, Kari, April, Destiny, and Natalie-who had all driven in from quite long distances to celebrate with me as well as Phillip and Amy, KB and Lute, Phyllis and Brandon, and Brett. My mom brought tons of pictures of me from being a baby all the way through graduating high school. Courtney had gotten a karaoke machine and so the fun began. It was such a great night!

We ate great Mexican food, sang karaoke, had a LOT of laughs, and made many, many memories. One of the best moments was when Brandon and Phyllis were getting ready to leave and Brandon said, "Just one more song, Phyllis..." and he raced back to the karaoke machine to sing. He started the night out saying that singing karaoke was one of the worst things he's ever had to do in his whole life and ended up stealing the show with his karaoke skills! It was hilarious! We all pretty much made fools of ourselves!

the girls
my hs crew

I am so grateful to have such amazing friends who would come from so far to celebrate with me and such selfless friends who would work so hard to make this day special for me and for such a sweet husband who would make sure this happened.

I love you girls--all of you!!

At one point in the evening, I just sat back and looked around and thought about how lucky I am to have the people in my life that I do. Not just because they would throw me a surprise party, but because they are all such fantastic people who will see me through anything I have going on in my life. Anything. I am so blessed to have them in my life.


PS--Girls, I did not have my camera (not sure why since we were at my house) but once you all get pics uploaded, send them my way!! Thanks for these Nat!

8 comments:

Deziray Click said...

Courtney had better of thrown you a party after you threw him such a good one! : )
We miss you guys so much!

The Johnson's said...

I am so glad you had such a great surprise birthday party!!! I wish I could have been there, your sweet friends sent me an invite, but I had to decline since I can't travel to far from home now. I wish I could have been there to celebrate your special day!!!!

Trisha said...

Girl, I love you and had such a great time! We wouldn't have missed it!!!

Megan said...

How sweet!

AN said...

I'm so happy that you had a great birthday! You do have great friends and family who care and love you tons!! By the way, I can tell you were sooooo surprised by the picture. Good picture, good picture.

B.E.A.L. said...

I am so glad you had a super fun surprise party...I hated that I missed it! The pictures are priceless! Hugs!

patti said...

what fun! I love the pic of you jumping out of the door and then tears. what a moment. You'll totally remember this one.

twiceknit said...

Wish I could have been there! So glad you were surprised.